- The rolling thin film oven test was developed to simulate the bitumen ageing that occurs in an asphalt mixing plant; as described in ASTM D2872-97.
- In this test eight cylindrical glass containers, each containing 35g of bitumen, are fixed in a vertically rotating shelf.
- During the test the bitumen flows continuously around the inner surface of each container in a relatively thin film, with pre-heated air periodically blown into each container.
- The test temperature is normally 163°C, for a period of 85 minutes.
- Interior chamber dimensions : 381mm high x 483mm wide x 445mm deep
- Approximate external dimensions : 855mm high x 900mm wide x 800mm deep
- Temperature stability : better than 0.5°C under steady state conditions.
- Temperature sensor : type "K" Mineral insulated thermocouple.
- Temperature control : Eurotherm 2132 digital three term controller.